Frequently Asked Questions

These are some of the questions most frequently received by College staff.


If you don’t find the information that you require listed here, please call us directly on +44 1625 501440,
e-mail us at [email protected] or, alternatively, submit your details using the form located in the Contact Us
section and we will reply to you directly.



Do I need to provide I.D. when I apply to enter an exam? No, but it needs to be provided to the College within a fortnight of entering.
What is a cash-in code? A cash-in code is a code for converting a set of individual results or units into an award/grade/certificate. Cashing in means that you are ready to amalgamate all the stipulated exam components/units that you have taken for a subject into a final grade. The code is shown in the subject specifications available from the relevant examination boards.
What is the centre number for Macclesfield Tutorial College and Private Examination Centre? 40530
When do you invoice for private tuition? For hourly, private tuition we will send out invoices monthly, in advance
How can I pay an invoice? You can pay using either debit card or credit card, cash, cheque. This can be done by telephone (call us on 01625 501440) or in person when visiting the college. Please note that we do not accept cheque payment for examination fees.
Is there parking at Cumberland Street? There is limited parking for drop off and collection directly outside the college. For a longer stay (an hour or more), there is a pay and display multi-story car park on the corner of Cumberland Street and Jordangate.
My Statement of Entry only says AM/PM. What are the exact examination start times? For an AM exam, we ask that you arrive at the specified exam location at 08:30 for a 09:00 start.For a PM exam, we ask that you arrive at the specified exam location at 12:30 for a 13:00 start.
Do you still have spaces left for entering an exam in a specific subject? Please speak to one of our exams office staff to discuss your plans. We can usually accommodate late entries for exams but you will need to be aware of any associated, required coursework, controlled assessments or practicals that are necessary for certain qualifications, plus the possibility of incurring late entry fees. Call 01625 501440 or email us at [email protected]
I am not local to Cheshire, are there decent places to stay for my visit? There are many good hotels in the immediate area, covering all budgets and needs. The most conveniently located is probably the Macclesfield Central Travelodge, which is located adjacent to Macclesfield train station and only 10 minutes walk to either the College or to the Heritage Centre (our secondary exam venue in Macclesfield). There is a further Travelodge in nearby Adlington, as well as two local Premier Inns – Macclesfield North and Macclesfield South West. There are many other choices for you consider however – Bridge Hotel Prestbury, Mottram Hall, Shrigley Hall Hotel as examples – each having varied facilities. Feel free to contact us for further guidance
What is a UCI and where can I find mine? The Unique Candidate Identifier (UCI number) is a 12-digit number followed by one capital letter. Its purpose is to enable all of your exam results which you have taken throughout your exam careers, at any centre through any awarding body to be accumulated together, accurately and fully, under your name. Your UCI can be found on your previous certificates, results sheets or you can obtain it from your previous education establishment.

For more information, visit our UCI page – What is a UCI number?